It is a sad day for fans of science fiction and fantasy.
Word has just gotten out that Jack Vance, one of the grandmasters of our genres, and IMNSHO one of the greatest writers of our times, passed away on Sunday. He was 96.
I had the honor of meeting Jack a few times, but I cannot claim to have known him well. But he had a huge influence on me and my work, and for the past fifty-some years has ranked among my very favorite writers. Every time a new Jack Vance book came out, I would drop whatever else I was doing and read it. Sometimes I did not mean to, but once you cracked the covers of a Vance book, you were lost.
It pleases me no end that Gardner Dozois and I were able to do our tribute anthology, SONGS OF THE DYING EARTH, when Jack was still alive, so he could hear how many of today's fantasists he had inspired. Vance's Dying Earth ranks with Howard's Hyborian Age and Tolkien's Middle Earth as one of the all-time great fantasy settings, and Cugel the Clever is the genre's greatest rogue, a character as memorable as Conan or Frodo (either of whom Cugel would likely swindle out of their smallclothes, had they ever met).
Vance was equally adept at writing SF and mystery, and will be remembered as one of the very few writers ever to win an Edgar Award along with Hugos and Nebulas. The output was prodigious, and there is scarcely a bad book among them. If you haven't read Jack Vance... well, I pity you, but I envy you as well. You have some amazing adventures ahead of you. The Dying Earth, Lyonesse, the Demon Princes, BAD RONALD, Liane the Wayfarer and Chun the Unavoidable, Emphyrio, Showboat World, Big Planet, the Dirdir and the Pnume and the Chasch and (yes) the Wankh, the Last Castle, the Dragon Masters, the Moon Moth... the list goes on and on and on and on.
Jack Vance left the world a richer place than he found it. No more can be asked of any writer.
Word has just gotten out that Jack Vance, one of the grandmasters of our genres, and IMNSHO one of the greatest writers of our times, passed away on Sunday. He was 96.
I had the honor of meeting Jack a few times, but I cannot claim to have known him well. But he had a huge influence on me and my work, and for the past fifty-some years has ranked among my very favorite writers. Every time a new Jack Vance book came out, I would drop whatever else I was doing and read it. Sometimes I did not mean to, but once you cracked the covers of a Vance book, you were lost.
It pleases me no end that Gardner Dozois and I were able to do our tribute anthology, SONGS OF THE DYING EARTH, when Jack was still alive, so he could hear how many of today's fantasists he had inspired. Vance's Dying Earth ranks with Howard's Hyborian Age and Tolkien's Middle Earth as one of the all-time great fantasy settings, and Cugel the Clever is the genre's greatest rogue, a character as memorable as Conan or Frodo (either of whom Cugel would likely swindle out of their smallclothes, had they ever met).
Vance was equally adept at writing SF and mystery, and will be remembered as one of the very few writers ever to win an Edgar Award along with Hugos and Nebulas. The output was prodigious, and there is scarcely a bad book among them. If you haven't read Jack Vance... well, I pity you, but I envy you as well. You have some amazing adventures ahead of you. The Dying Earth, Lyonesse, the Demon Princes, BAD RONALD, Liane the Wayfarer and Chun the Unavoidable, Emphyrio, Showboat World, Big Planet, the Dirdir and the Pnume and the Chasch and (yes) the Wankh, the Last Castle, the Dragon Masters, the Moon Moth... the list goes on and on and on and on.
Jack Vance left the world a richer place than he found it. No more can be asked of any writer.
- Current Location:Santa Fe
- Current Mood:
melancholy - Current Music:jazz, for Jack



Comments
This reminds me of the death of Kurt Vonnegut. He is probably my greatest influence and I never had the opportunity to meet him before he died. But then again, they do say we should never meet our heroes.
One by one we watch our brothers set their feet upon the rainbow.
I have before me a copy of The Green Pearl at this moment.
He'll be much missed.
He had a great life.
Jim
www.DarkSwordMiniatures.com
RIP Jack Vance
Instead, I will reproduce one of my favourite pieces of writing in all of SF and Fantasy. It's the opening paragraph of 'Emphyrio'. Vance was able to create images like this remarkably frequently.
"In the chamber at the top of the tower were six individuals: three who chose to call themselves "lords" or sometimes "remedials"; a wretched underling who was their prisoner; and two Garrion. The chamber was dramatic and queer: of irregular dimension, hung with panels of heavy maroon velvet. At one end an embrasure admitted a bar of light: this of a smoky amber quality, as if the pane were clogged with dust - which it was not; in fact the glass was a subtle sort, producing remarkable effects. At the opposite end of the room was a low trapezoidal door of black skeel."
Some of his lines are still quoted around the house today. "That is not customary procedure"; "In view of the general protest we will withdraw our claim".
From France here. It's time now with your help to get Lyonesse on HBO.
Regards,
Dry
Another Titan of the genre has fallen. RIP Jack Vance
Edited at 2013-05-30 10:17 pm (UTC)
R.I.P. Mr. Vance
My high school English teacher confiscated the issue of Galaxy with the orange and green Gaughan cover for Dragonmaster, because I was supposed to be paying attention to Treasure Island . . .
I fell in love.
Bought all the Dying Earth books I could get my hands on, reread The Dying Earth in print, and then Cugel and Rhialto.
In March after buying a recent Dying Earth edition, I wrote Spatterlight Press to ask why Turjan of Mir and Mazirian the Magician were arranged in a different order than I'd been used to reading them. I didn't realize I was writing John Vance, who asked his father, who emphatically stressed that Mazirian was meant to be first. From the horse's mouth. So be it!
I was reading Sylgarmo's Procalmation from Songs of the Dying Earth on the day Jack Vance passed. I'm grateful that there's so much of this book left to read, so much of his worlds still to discover. Love it.
Heartwarming to know he was an influence on you GRRM. I suspected as much from your general style, but in particular I always thought the character of "Lann the Clever", the Lannisters' founder in ASOIAF, sounded like a sly nod to Cugel.
RIP
Since that day in fifth class I've loved science fiction, all thanks to Jack Vance and his Planet of Adventure.