107 questions
Score of 0
1 answer
103 views
OSI Layer of gRPC
gRPC is a type of Remote Procedure Call (RPC). Accodring to Wikipedia, RPC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_layer) uses Session OSI layer. However, gRPC Wikipedia page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/...
Score of 0
1 answer
858 views
In what layer is GraphQL?
I've been learning about client server communication and read that according to OSI there are several layers where protocols are implemented. For example, TCP happens at layer 4 and HTTP at layer 7.
...
Score of 0
1 answer
376 views
How do I get complete Layer 2 -> Layer 7 data from a Python socket?
I'm trying to write a simple python server that accepts a connection from whatever and digests the entire frame, down to the ethernet headers. The server will not maintain a connection or care about ...
Score of 0
1 answer
341 views
Where is CanOpen in the OSI modell?
Its clear that the physical and data link is covered by CAN. But does all of the upper layers covered by CANopen? Should it cover all?
What confuses me more that there are sewveral CiA documents (such ...
Score of -1
1 answer
206 views
Beginner here unable to understand why Switch is layer 2
According to the OSI model, data is encapsulated from layer 7 down to layer 1.
Since normally a setup would be
PC(layer7, 6, 5, 4) > switch(layer 2) > Router(layer 3) > Modem(layer 1)
it ...
Score of 0
1 answer
683 views
Network Packet Sniffer:Process an Ethernet frame (MAC src&dest address + protocole) using python
I am trying to simply get and process my ethernet frame in python to do it i wrotte this simple code in python (helped by a tutorial):
import socket
import struct
def ethernet_frame_fct(data):
...
Score of -3
1 answer
192 views
layers of the OSI model
I know this question may not make sense to many of you, but I still want to learn.
I want to know that when we want to send a message from one device to another device from another network, are all ...
Score of 0
1 answer
278 views
Network Data Encapsulation Process
A question about how network data traverses through the internet.
I'm wondering whether the encapsulation/de-capsulation process happens at each hop while a request is being sent through the internet. ...
Score of 0
1 answer
1052 views
How to make HTTP request to a web server behind a Network Load Balancer (Layer 3)?
I was just going through some Udemy AWS exam questions. There was a use case where a consumer vpc wants to connect to a service provider VPC via a vpc endpoint service. Therefore, we must use a ...
Score of 0
0 answers
70 views
At what point in the OSI Model stack would the Default Gateway MAC be added to the Frame - assuming an Ethernet network
Been Googling without success sadly.
As I understand it at the moment, data passes down the OSI Model from Transport into Network into Datalink, IP Header is added with the Source/Destination IP ...
Score of 0
1 answer
298 views
TCP/IP and OSI in practice
I was studiyng those protocols, and I even understand the basis of each layer they have, but I can't understand how they work in practice.
For example: When an application make a request, isn't it the ...
Score of -1
1 answer
241 views
What exaclty is the job of the network layer in the OSI model
I am having a tough time understanding the network layer or layer 3 in the OSI model. Could anyone please help me with my questions
1)correct me if I am wrong, from my understanding the basic task of ...
Score of -2
1 answer
1911 views
Tracking OSI packets with Wireshark
All the 7 layers of the OSI model work together to define to the endpoint what is the type of machine he is dealing with.
But I wonder why can't I detect a OSI packet with an software like wireshark? ...
Score of 0
2 answers
757 views
OSI Model Layer [closed]
If a server is indicating that it is accepting connections, via fping (IP address indicating "is alive") is this layer 7 Application in the OSI Model or is this a layer 3 Network?
At What ...
Score of 0
2 answers
745 views
Why do we need both session layer if we have transport layer(in the osi model)?
If tcp in the transport layer creates for us a session , so why we need the session layer to create for us a session?