Questions tagged [osi]
For questions about the Open Systems Interconnect (OSI) model defined by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
188 questions
Score of 2
2 answers
119 views
OSI Model - Is this statement accurate?
Found this statement in the "The Art of Network Architecture" book, but I can't understand it, as I don't see why routing protocols in the OSI model run on Layer 2 (data link), as the book ...
Score of 4
5 answers
1775 views
In a network operating on layer 3 of the OSI model, why is the destination MAC address needed if the target host is in another network?
I am studying the OSI Model, and to my understanding: a MAC address is needed to transmit a message to a node within the same physical network or to a switch/router. IP addresses are used for globally ...
Score of 1
1 answer
331 views
Data link layer and transport layer differences/relationships
Hi I am a network engineering beginner learning about the TCP/IP stack in the context of using web services on an embedded system (processor connected to LTE cellular module).
I am struggling to ...
Score of 0
1 answer
200 views
How to calculate or specify these terms Throughput, Data rate, Bandwidth? [duplicate]
The term "throughput" clearly refers to the actual data received in a system. For instance, with a bandwidth of 5MHz and a channel capacity (data rate) of 10Mbps, if the received data is ...
Score of 1
2 answers
231 views
point-to-point or broadcast network : concrete case
What concrete rule or layer of the OSI model should be used to decide whether a network is a point-to-point network or a broadcast network?
A general definition (*) seems clear, but in practice it ...
Score of 0
0 answers
35 views
Clarification of relation between IPv6 and TCP [duplicate]
I thought IPv6 and TCP could be used independently, but IP does not need TCP at all, whereas TCP usually needs IP to function. Is my understanding correct? Does IPv6 need TCP to function? Looking at ...
Score of 0
1 answer
295 views
What happens when the sender sends more data then the advertised window by the receiver?
I am relatively new to networking. I am doubting what happens when the sender sends more data than the advertised window by the receiver. I mean that the receiver advertises the window size based of ...
Score of 0
1 answer
650 views
What are different encoding schemes used in gigabit ethernet?
I was reading about digital transmission, there are many steps namely:
Analog to Digital conversion
Source coding
Channel coding
Line coding
Pulse shaping
Modulation
Multiple access techniques
...
Score of -1
1 answer
259 views
Alternative to the Internet for a local network
Suppose we are designing a network and we want to isolate it from the Internet. Are there any alternatives to the Internet for a local network?
Score of 1
1 answer
1082 views
IP and Ethernet endianness
I'm completely new to the topic, I've read that Ethernet sends Bytes in a Big-Endian way, but that bits are sent with Little-Endian. I've also read that IPv4 uses Big_endian order. So my question is, ...
Score of 1
0 answers
38 views
Why are connected switches not a good substitute for the network layer? [duplicate]
Unless I am missing something, because switches can be chained together, I am not sure why the network layer is needed. Theoretically, one can dedicate a frame to any MAC address, and assuming there ...
Score of 2
1 answer
203 views
Why is MPLS label added between layer 2 header and layer 3 header of OSI model and not between headers of layer 3 and 4 of OSI model?
Is there a possibility to use any other two OSI model layers' middle positions? What is the basic concept of switching of packets with MPLS on layer 2.5 of OSI Reference model?
Score of 1
2 answers
1116 views
How Network layer routing actually works in the physical world
This is my first question here, It might be a vague or off topic, I apologise in advance, but I am happy to improve it
Basically I have a somewhat decent theoretical understanding of the OSI model. ...
Score of 9
7 answers
3687 views
session layer in OSI model
I'm wondering to know how session layer works. In my understanding session layer is to establish active communication sessions between two devices. Based on the OSI layer model, it works layer by ...
Score of 1
1 answer
148 views
Is there a term for application layer protocols that are responsibilities of network engineers?
In studying network engineering, it is usually taught that network engineers are responsible from physical layer up to transport layer, that is, layer 1-4 only.
Obviously, HTTP or HTTPS are off-topic ...